By Neil Postman
In a sequence of feisty and eventually hopeful essays, one in every of America's sharpest social critics casts a clever eye over modern tradition to bare the worst -- and the easiest -- of our behavior of discourse, traits in schooling, and obsessions with technological novelty. Readers will locate themselves rethinking a lot of their bedrock assumptions: should still schooling transmit tradition or safeguard us opposed to it? Is technological innovation development or a primarily American habit? while everybody watches a similar tv courses -- and tv manufacturers do not discriminate among the audiences for Sesame road and Dynasty -- is formative years whatever greater than a sentimental inspiration? Writing within the traditions of Orwell and H.L. Mencken, Neil Postman sends surprise waves of wit and significant intelligence during the cultural wilderness.
By James Grauerholz
"Word Virus: The William S. Burroughs Reader" brings jointly decisions of Burroughs' most crucial and hard paintings - starting together with his very early writing (including a bankruptcy from his and Jack Kerouac's never-before-seen collaborative novel, "And the Hippos have been Boiled of their Tanks" ) and following his trajectory via "My schooling: A e-book of Dreams." "Word Virus: The William S. Burroughs Reader" follows significant topics in Burroughs' oeuvre whereas additionally serving up a sampling of his darkly hilarious "routines, " and is edited to function a device for the student in addition to an outline of his complete physique of labor for the overall reader.
By John Steinbeck, Susan Shillinglaw
Greater than 4 a long time after his loss of life, John Steinbeck is still one of many nation's such a lot loved authors. but few comprehend of his occupation as a journalist who coated international occasions from the nice melancholy to Vietnam. Now, this specific assortment bargains a portrait of the artist as citizen, deeply engaged on this planet round him. as well as the entire textual content of Steinbeck's final released booklet, America and Americans, this quantity brings jointly for the 1st time greater than fifty of Steinbeck's best essays and journalistic items on Salinas, Sag Harbor, Arthur Miller, Woody Guthrie, the Vietnam struggle and extra. This version is edited by way of Steinbeck student Susan Shillinglaw and Steinbeck biographer Jackson J. Benson.
For greater than seventy years, Penguin has been the major writer of vintage literature within the English-speaking international. With greater than 1,700 titles, Penguin Classics represents a world bookshelf of the easiest works all through heritage and throughout genres and disciplines. Readers belief the sequence to supply authoritative texts more suitable by way of introductions and notes by way of individual students and modern authors, in addition to up to date translations through award-winning translators.
By William H. Gass
By Harlan Ellison
Delivering readers an inebriating swig from the good cocktail shaker of the Roaring Twenties—the Jazz Age, the age of Gatsby—Bohemians, Bootleggers, Flappers, and Swells showcases unforgettable writers looking for easy methods to reside good in a altering period. self-importance reasonable editor Graydon Carter introduces those magnificent items written among 1913 and 1936, while the journal released a Murderers’ Row of the world’s prime literary lighting, including:
- F. Scott Fitzgerald on what may still be
- Clarence Darrow on equality
- e. e. cummings on Calvin Coolidge
- D. H. Lawrence on women
- Djuna Barnes on James Joyce
- John Maynard Keynes at the cave in in cash value
- Dorothy Parker on a bunch of subject matters, from why she hates actresses to why she hasn’t married
By H. Paul Shuch
This ebook is a set of essays written through those that have led, and proceed to guide, the hunt for extraterrestrial intelligence. It stories the historical past of the topic, info present-day technology and expertise, and appears forward to the future.
By Dave Barry
While DAVE BARRY IS at the free, not anyone IS SAFE!
What Dave Barry did for the men's stream in his whole consultant to men and for overseas relatives while he did Japan he now does for . . . every thing in the US. The rapacious observer of Tupperware girls and relaxation proposal salesmen sounds off on:
Football--Football is greater than only a video game. it's a capability chance to determine a dwell individual mendacity at the flooring with a bone protruding of his leg, whereas the fanatics, to teach their appreciation, practice "the wave."
Sailing--There's not anything particularly like getting out at the open sea, the place you could ignore the hassles and concerns of lifestyles on land, and focus on the hassles and concerns of existence at the sea, equivalent to dying by way of squid.
Gambling--Off-Track having a bet parlors are the categories of locations the place you by no means see symptoms that say, "Thank You for no longer Smoking." the easiest you could wish for is, "Thank You for now not Spitting items of Your Cigar on My Neck."
"The excellent news: he is humorous as ever. The undesirable information: the booklet is just 304 pages."
--Los Angeles day-by-day information
By Oscar Wilde
This publication used to be switched over from its actual version to the electronic layout by way of a neighborhood of volunteers. you could locate it at no cost on the net. buy of the Kindle variation contains instant supply.
By P. J. O'Rourke, Christopher Buckley, Jonah Goldberg, Joe Queenan, Christopher Caldwell, Andrew Ferguson, Jonathan V. Last, Micha
An all-star group of eighteen conservative writers deals a hilarious, insightful, sanctimony-free remix of William Bennett’s The publication of Virtues—without parental controls. The Seven lethal Virtues sits down subsequent to readers on the bar, buys them a drink, and an hour or 3 later, ushers them into the revival tent with out them even figuring out it.
The book’s members contain Sonny Bunch, Christopher Buckley, David “Iowahawk” Burge, Christopher Caldwell, Andrew Ferguson, Jonah Goldberg, Michael Graham, Mollie Hemingway, Rita Koganzon, Matt Labash, James Lileks, Rob lengthy, Larry Miller, P. J. O’Rourke, Joe Queenan, Christine Rosen, and Andrew Stiles. Jonathan V. final, senior author on the Weekly commonplace, editor of the gathering, is usually a contributor. All eighteen essays during this ebook are showing for the 1st time anywhere.
In the book’s starting essay, P. J. O’Rourke observes: “Virtue has under no circumstances disappeared. It’s as a lot in public view as ever. yet it’s been strung up through the heels. advantage is the other way up. advantage is uncomfortable. advantage appears to be like ridiculous. the entire switch and the home keys are falling out of Virtue’s pants pockets.”
Here are the virtues every person (including the book’s members) used to be taught in Sunday university yet have absolutely forgotten approximately till this very second. during this sanctimony-free zone:
• Joe Queenan observes: “In essence, thrift is a advantage that resembles being excellent at Mahjong. You’ve heard approximately those that can do it, yet you’ve by no means really met any of them.”
• P. J. O’Rourke notes: “Fortitude is old fashioned. We compliment the best iteration for having it, yet they'd aluminum siding, church on Sunday, and jobs that required them to put on neckties or nylons (but by no means on the similar time). We don’t wish these either.”
• Christine Rosen writes: “A fellowship grounded in sociality ability having fun with the corporate of these with whom you definitely proportion actual house instead of people with whom you frequently and enthusiastically trade cat videos.”
• Rob lengthy bargains his model of recent day justice: when you sleep past due at the weekend, you're compelled to attend thirty mins in line at Costco.
• Jonah Goldberg bargains: “There was once a time while this desire-to-do-good-in-all-things used to be thought of the one form of integrity: ‘Angels are larger than mortals. They’re consistently definite approximately what's correct simply because, by means of definition, they’re doing God’s will.’ Gabriel knew while it was once alright to get rid of a bed tag and Sandalphon continually tipped the proper amount.”
• Sonny Bunch dissects forbearance, watching that the fictitious mins Hate of George Orwell’s 1984 is now really a fact directed at residing, respiring humans. thank you, partly, to the net, “Its goals are targeted by means of a spontaneously created mob—one that, because of its hive-mind nature—is nearly most unlikely to name off.”
By the time readers have accomplished The Seven lethal Virtues, they won’t even detect that they’ve simply been catechized into a wholly different—and better—moral universe.